Friday, June 20, 2008

The Yogi has Landed...

We're here and all is well. It was actually quite an easy trip and we've settled right back into our Australian life. It only took me three hours in the country to fry the cord to our portable DVD player by plugging it into the wrong type of currency converter. The lesson I've learned from this is never try to deal with electronics on the first day of jet-lag. I had the correct transformer here from our last visit, but my brain just wasn't working properly so I used the wrong one. Oh well, we didn't really need the dvd player for our visit anyway. It was more for me to use to watch my US format Yoga dvd's anyway.

I had a great 6am yoga session today with the birds chirping right outside the window and the light beginning to filter in. Palm trees in sillouette as I began to stretch and circle around and around. I was really enjoying getting my body warm and moving when a largish black spider crawled up my hand. I briefly thought about not harming it in a noble moment of dharmic awareness, but then I let fear take over and squashed the crap out of the poor thing. I felt really evil afterwards and had to laugh at the incongruity of me trying to find my inner peace while at the same time murdering this poor little creature. I kept hearing Bill Bryson's words ringing in my ears that Australia has more poisonous and downright deadly spiders, snakes, and creepy crawlies than any other country on earth. He made it sound as if everything in Australia was out to get you. I went with my gut and attacked the pitiful thing in a pre-emptive strike. It also happened to be in Izzy's bedroom so I guess the mama bear syndrome kicked in too. Anyway, when I come back as a scary bug in my next life you'll all know why.

Hope you are having a great day! More to come later....

Petals

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Had a real giggle about your bug-exterminating exploits. Reminds me of our Black Widow Spider "infestation" in Oregon. I was like "Omigod, how will we sell a house taken over with deadly spiders" when a kindly neighbour pointed out there was a quite harmless Oregon spider that looked just like a Black Widow.......Lots of love, Angela xxxxxxxx