Friday, June 13, 2008

Thoughts from the yenta yogi...

I attended a wonderful meditation as movement class today with Simon Menasche. So perfect and dreamlike. I was weaving in and out of clarity throughout the class and realized how far I've come on my journey into meditation. I have small chunks of time now that I am wholly removed from the space I inhabit. I am also exploring walking meditation techniques and find that simply focusing on the physical dynamics of motion is a wonderful way to soothe my mind. How amazing for the original meditation-phobic. Or as my husband calls me... the most zenless yogi on the planet.

I realize that I'm so annoying about all of this too. As if I am the first person in the world to discover these things, I am constantly shoving my new awareness and techniques at any and all innocent bystanders. The checkout lady, teachers at my daughter's school, my father, and very kind friends have all become hapless victims of my new obsession. Of course I realize that I'm just taking baby steps at this point and don't really have a clue what I'm talking about. I haven't even acquired the level of prowess that my dog has at meditation! Seriously, I mean that poodle can focus!

Anyway, these are my meanderings for today. Come back soon if you can stomach more ruminations of the zenless yogi.

2 comments:

SarahJ said...

I get what you're saying. It take practice to just "be." Sometimes I have it and then I forget that how I got there. It's like my mind doesn't get it but my body recognizes that place of zen zoning.

Nature helps me get lost in my body and out of my mind. Natural, huh?

Anonymous said...

Walking meditation... sounds a little dangerous and valley-girl-ish! :)