Monday, June 30, 2008

Love the Mantra

The Mantra 100 on Exhibition was a winner. Or as the Aussie's would say, "a ripper hotel". Perfectly located, well-appointed, clean, quiet, and next door to Cartier Jewelery. Who could ask for anything more? Of course David wouldn't actually let me walk into Cartier and was sweating each time we passed by the entrance, but still it was comforting just knowing it was there.

We had two wonderful meals in Chinatown at Westlake and The Shark Fin House. I can highly recommend them both. Make sure you go around lunch time to savor the dim sum trolleys being pushed around with delectable dumplings and treats. This is called Yum Cha here and is well worth the trip into the city.

Oliver's football match was also a real eye opener. The coach bellowed and screamed at the kids and even made one of them cry. We're talking 10 and 11 year olds here. Now I'm sure this goes on regularly back home on the soccer grounds, but I was shocked. The one soccer game I went to recently for friends in Portland was quite sedate and friendly. Nothing like this all out scream-fest. I was sure that the kids would all hate this coach and dread going to practice, but nothing could have been further from the truth. They took it in stride and even professed affection for the coach. I should also mention that Ol's team is undefeated and currently way ahead. Between shivering on the sidelines and flinching at the yelling though, I'm quite happy Izzy seems more interested in piano and tennis these days.

Tomorrow is more yoga with Yolanda and then a day of gossip and joking with an old friend from my days of living here in Melbourne. And at last a trip to Acland street. Stay tuned.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melbourne has always sounded very appealing - definitely on my "must visit" list.

Apparently 2,500 Aussies are leaving the UK each month to return home - largely because of the credit crunch. I'm interested to know what the mood is like in Australia right now - are they affected by the economic pessimism as much as the US and Europe?

Love the blog Jan - I am a devoted reader!

Lots of love
Angela xxXXxx

Anonymous said...

Jan,

I love the new photo on your blog page. It's very bright and cheery.

We miss you.

Love, Sarah