Sunday, March 1, 2009

Silent Sunday


I spent today at the mostly silent retreat for my 8 week MBSR class... Now, for those of you who know me you can stop laughing now. Yes, I did manage to be silent for 5+hours AND I learned so much about myself during this time.

I learned that when you are meditating for hours at a time you can't run from yourself forever. I learned that freedom from fear, anger, and sadness is the ultimate freedom. I learned that I am not just the rose or rosebud part of PetalsYoga but instead I am the whole rosebush. Deep roots and hardy stems, able to withstand the many winters of disease and to blossom anew with the warming sun. A radiant white light entered my body as I realized this during meditation and suddenly, I felt whole and healed.

I also let go of worrying endlessly about every other person in the room and whether they were okay or getting their needs met, and finally focused selfishly inward. Freedom.

Just my thoughts fresh from the retreat. Have you ever spent a day in silence and contemplation? Fill me in on your thoughts and observations. I'd love to hear.

Namaste,

Jan

2 comments:

rebel said...

I have a hard time just sittin' and meditatin' but I have spent time durin' a quiet day in retrospect and contemplation. It's definitely a good thing.
I can't believe you get to go to Austrailia! You lucky gal. How amazin'. How old is your daughter? Are you the only two goin'? Please, please take lots of pictures and share 'em. I am so envious but don't let a shark get you or a gator! LOL

3 Bay B Chicks said...

My sister-in-law recently participated in a similar retreat. She is very into yoga and had a ton of positive things to say about the experience. I have to admit that my interest was definitely peaked!

I should also add that she went on a silent retreat for an entire weekend, which sounds a bit long for you and I. :)

-Francesca