Thursday, September 17, 2009

Gratitude for breathing...

Hi everybody,

I'm okay. Thanks so much to everyone who sent me such comforting words after the loss of my poodle Sara. Each day is a little better. Bittersweet for sure, but better. I can see clearly now how poor her quality of life really was in the end, and it feels so good to have no regrets about what we had to do.

I feel the need for some abstract introspection though, so here goes:

Do you want to know the entry that brings the most accidental tourists on Google to my blog?

This one about forgetting to breathe.

I get several hits a month on this entry with search terms such as:

can your brain forget to breathe
or
seem to forget to breathe
or
you forget to breathe

Isn't that shocking? I was speaking figuratively in that blog but it seems that some people do forget to breathe in everyday life. This must be terrifying! Think how many times a day most of us take an involuntary breath in and out. The average respiratory rate is 12-20 per minute. 17280 to 28800 breaths in an average person's day. Now imagine if suddenly you had to rely on your consciousness for this work. If you LITERALLY FORGOT TO BREATHE at least 16000 times a day you likely would die.

Now don't you feel inspired to take a long slow CONSCIOUS deep breath and focus on how lucky we are to be alive on this miracle called earth? I know I do.

Inhale .... In this moment... Exhale... I am breathing.

Namaste,

Jan


Thank you to www.statcounter.com by the way for helping me track these things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is surprising what people search for on Google. I was told about a fun Google "game". You type the name of a famous person followed by "is" in the Google search box and see what others are thinking .... it's quite illuminating!

I think you made a very humane decision about Sarah. Time will heal though you'll miss her very much. Take care, A xxxxxx

♥ Braja said...

I can't help but think of Jane Fonda's line that became a mantra in the 80s: "Don't forget to breathe!"

Anonymous said...

Good one on gratitude and it helps a lot.

Thanks,
Karim - Mind Power