How did this year zoom by so quickly? I'm reeling from the speed of 2009 flying by. I can't start gearing up for 2010 yet! As one of my wise yoga students put it, "That's too much like living in the future, right?". It's true. 2010 is a number that seems to be "in the future". Did you know the original Star Trek series was meant to be set in 2265? Okay, that's still a long way off, but in 1967 when Gene Roddenberry first put it on the air, I'll bet he thought 2010 sounded ridiculously far off too.
So with the first decade of the 21st century closing in, I've decided to take stock and see if I've done anything worthwhile during the last 10 years.
1. We're raising a 10 year-old daughter and she's awesomely terrific. Check.
2. I've survived 5 surgeries in the last 10 years and I feel great today. Check.
3. I've become a yoga teacher and make a difference in peoples lives with each class. Check.
4. We've lived in 3 different states over the last 10 years and actually found one that makes us happy. Check.
5. I've got friends and family all over the world whom I love and who love me. Check.
Ya know, 2010 doesn't seem that scary anymore. Sure, I still have loads to accomplish and follow through on, but I'm reminded of this quote by Emerson that I used to have posted on my wall 20 years ago in college:
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.
WHAT???!!! I now find through the wondrous technology of Google that it probably wasn't even written by Emerson at all! Read here for more details. Beam me up Scotty, I'm ready for a new adventure!
Love and ease to you all,